I started getting into making mug cakes when Wallace was a baby. I’ve tried many versions I found online that met various food needs I’ve had over the years. I’ve finally settled on a recipe of my own that is relatively easy and has been turning out consistently good for quite a while now. This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
A few notes: The only thing that should take individual adjustment is the microwave time. I am not a food blogger so this is all very utilitarian. Because of the brain fog I deal with, I find it easiest to have the ingredients written in the actual recipe as well as in list form. I freeze my aquaphaba in a silicone ice cube tray and start by melting rwo cubes in the mug in the microwave, swirling it occasionally. I have found it turns out best if I get it cooking quickly as
- 2 Tbs aquaphaba (about)
- Dash of vanilla
- 2 Tbs Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour (this is the only flour I have tested it repeatedly with)
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs raw cacao or coco powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbs chocolate chips (I use enjoy life regular or mini)
You will need a mug, tablespoon and 1/4 or 1/8th measuring spoon, a fork, and a microwave.
- Put 2 Tbs aquaphaba and a dash of vanilla in the mug. Swirl.
- Add 2 Tbs each of flour, sugar, and cacao/coco.
- Add 1/8 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix it up really well with a fork.
- Add 1Tbs of chocolate chips and give it a little mix.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until it is set. A minute and a half would probably be the maximum time needed.
Now that I have perfected this one, I should probably try to make some other flavors or combinations.