These plans of mine are ever evolving but the end goal is still IBCLC. The reasons and motivations for that are still the same but the steps to get there and what life will look like keep changing. Unlike in the past, I am making a point to ask myself questions to dig deeper along the way.
My plan as of Monday morning was to get out of my living situation sooner than later in order to take care of my mental health and independence. I was looking into roommates and apartments in Portland and trying to determine if the classes I need to take will be offered when I need them. Then a friend whispered in my ear and the image started changing again.
I am now looking at buying a used motorhome, getting rid of everything that doesn’t fit (storing just a little with my dad), and driving it out to Portland this winter. We would then live in it in an RV park near or in Portland while I go to school. That’s a huge change and yes I know there are lots of things that could go wrong.
At first, my reaction to my friend’s suggestion was along the lines of “that might work for you but I’m doubting it would work for me.” I was clinging very hard to the life I have known and to the things I have acquired. As I started mentally sorting through the things that I have, I went from panicky and guilty to relief and a feeling of freedom. I would not be a bad mom if I sold his kitchen set and made him a bin that stores some play food with a felt stove on the bottom. He would be gaining a lot of experiences and fresh air. The anxiety started turning to excitement as I imagined a simpler way of living and a lot less crap to haul around.
The more I began researching this, the more I started feeling this is the right thing for us to do. It also makes sense financially and logistically when looked at from those angles. The cost of renting a uhaul for that long of a trip is about $3,000 and it has to be done within a certain number of days. I would have to do the drive alone with a cat in the cab and a car seat in the front seat. I would then have costs of gas, food on the road (with the added challenge of gluten free), and staying in hotels, likely sneaking my cat in. The cost of the motorhome I am looking into is $3,600 and needs very minimal repairs and work. We wouldn’t have to worry about a place to stay every night or sneaking Nina in and could have the means to prepare our own food on the road. I would also be able to go as slowly as we needed to and be working on the timeframe of a rental company.
So, what if it breaks down? Well, it has a Chevy chasis and a Chevy 454 engine, which are easy to find replacement parts for. So, what if I end up hating the lifestyle? Well, I can sell it for close to what I paid and move our stuff into an apartment. I don’t have to commit to this long term but for the move and the years in Portland, it makes a lot of sense. I would then be able to move us wherever we needed to go if I decided to take a job elsewhere, or just on the other side of the city. That is one of my concerns about the school program and clinicals. If I were tied into a lease, I might not be able to accept the clinical position best for me but with a RV, I could move us to another park very easily.
I am so far in stealth mode and have only discussed this with a handful of friends. The reactions are mostly positive with some safety and mechanical concerns thrown in. I am easily affected by the views of my friends and it had me feeling a little discouraged. I have worked through that and come out more even in my plan. I know that my parents will both think I am crazy and my mom will punish me again for moving. I will probably have to blur the facts for my grandparents so they don’t get overly worried.
Financially, I would be spending less on the move and less on monthly expenses than I would with the uhaul/apartment plan. That is a good thing because we will be living on student loans to get me through school. I was hoping it would allow me instate tuition for PSU but they have a 12 months and not having moved for school requirement. Moving to Portland sooner would help us get set up during a less busy time and avoid the local move costs.
I had more thoughts on this but I am distracted now and drawing a blank. Today, I need to go to the credit union to see about student loans and to call PCC to see about classes. I told the guy who is selling the motorhome that I would call him back by the end of the week about whether I will be coming to check it out soon. I am open to your thoughts, encouragement, and constructive criticism. There are a lot more pieces to this and things I have researched than I have put in this post.